Potree is now available at github. You can get future stable releases from potree – master and the latest development from potree – develop.
PotreeConverter source code is available at PotreeConverter – master
The PotreeConverter sourcecode can be downloaded here:
PotreeConverter – source
It includes a Visual Studio 2012 solution. There is no linux build but I don’t think I’ve used any platform dependend code so it shouldn’t be hard to create one.
For anyone interested in how it works, here is a documentation. It’s written for a course I attended and explains the algorithm, not the source code.
PotreeConverter – documentation
The new source and converter are available here: potree_2014.01.22.zip
A small demo is included. The application has to be deployed on a webserver in order to run.
Here’s a demo of the results of the new converter I’m working on: Pompei.
Points are uniformly sampled now which leads to a much better visual quality while at the same time improving performance because fewer points are needed.
I’ve put potree under the less restrictive FreeBSD license.
The license page has been updated. The next source release will contain the updated license information.
(There’s an issue with potree that causes it to stop loading, usually when you’re viewing your second or third point cloud. Reload the page if that happens.)
Here is a new demo of a pointcloud provided by ecosynth:
High Quality Splatting demo is now online at potree.org/demo/lion/lion_takanawa.html
Loading may take a while. The model is 12mb.
This demo needs the OES_texture_float extension. Unfortunately, it seems like Chrome does not support this extension well which can result in very bad performance in Chrome.
Sourcecode is here: lion_demo.zip
The program has to be run from a webserver!
High-Quality Surface Splatting on Today’s GPUs implementation in potree/WebGL. Online demo will follow in a few days/weeks.
The embedded video shows a ply file from the Stanford Repository beeing loaded by dragging and dropping the file into the browser window.
The ply file contains 35947 points in ascii format. The loading and parsing happened in the main thread at first but this made the browser completely unresponsive. I decided to move the parsing part into a WebWorker which continuously informs the main thread about the progress.
I was able to load point clouds with up to 5m points(~135Mb binary ply) in Firefox. Chrome managed to load up to ~3.8 points but loading 5m always failed. At the moment, the whole file is loaded at once in one single buffer. Maybe it works if I split loading into smaller parts.